, ,

The Truth About French Stereotypes

Friday, January 24, 2014

As Mat and I talk about him moving to America with me, I really think about how we Americans view the French. Ha. Before ever coming to France I had the traditional image in my head: thick mustache, beret, striped shirt, bicycle, and baguette. Oh and his name is Pierre, along with every other person in this country.

I asked Mathieu to put the beret on just for pure entertainment.
My friend Ryan wore this exact costume last Halloween, just to poke fun at our French friend Guillermo. So far I've seen 2 people who have dressed this way..sorry they biked too fast for me to ask if their names were Pierre.
Cliché french costume
I also had the impression that all French people were hairy. Welp--the men are. But quite frankly I question any man with a shaved/waxed chest anywho. As for the girls, it's completely false. I think that was one of my first questions to Mat actually, and he was baffled that we even thought this.

You all know where I'm heading after this right? Smelly. Of course. Okay so this one I'll be real honest with. Our gym smells like a porter potty sometimes, and the tram can nearly set fire to my nose hairs, BUT, it was the same in Italy. So I'm not succumbing just the French to this. Europe does not allow for aluminum in the deodorant and they are not 'antiperspirants' either. Therefore, until my mom sent my over a box of chemicals (aka American antiperspirant) I too smelled very bad.

Side note: Mat showers 3-4 times a day so I can tell you he smells great.
Paris, France September 2013
On a serious level the one stereotype I wish didn't exist is that the French hate Americans, and that they are mean people. Every single person I have met here has been wonderful to me, with or without Mat around. They make an effort. Before I knew French it was really hard for me, and yet still with as little of English they knew, each person tried their hardest to speak with me. One girl even went as far as to sit with me and go back and fourth on Google Translate.

A really strange coincidence is actually occurring while I'm writing this that I just overheard on tv. Previous president, Nicolas Sarkozy said in a speech to the U.S Congress "France is the friend of the United States of America. It is not simply I, the French president who says that; I am simply the expression the voice of the people of France." This is far more accurate.

For some more less serious stereotypes, I was also convinced everyone was healthy and stick thin. Stick thin, yes. Healthy? Eh. The things they do differently: they don't snack and most of them smoke. The French don't fear dessert, cheese, alcohol, or basically anything. But they also don't overindulge in it either. While I'm arm deep in a box of cookies, Mat is patiently waiting for dinner.

Speaking of him, I stereotyped the French with being romantic. This one is completely true. People making out in the streets, men buying flowers for their women, and couples spoon feeding each other dessert. Depending on my mood that day I either think it's just so0o0o cute, or I'm sick.
The boys on New Years Eve 2013
I give the frenchmen credit though, they respect women more than I have ever seen. Chivalry isn't dead here. They know how to be courteous: holding doors for girls, apologizing when cursing, pulling out chairs. Every single one of Mat's friends kisses my cheek hello before shaking his hand. It's sad that my American generation is completely shot of this.

This whole stereotype thing is a worry for Mathieu a bit. Would you want someone to automatically think you hate their country? Or that you don't shower and are rude? Of course not. However, my friends in America welcomed him with open arms, and although I know he might encounter a few ignorant people along the way, I feel like we don't really believe our own stereotypes sometimes. Oui oui.


credit: http://ohsacrebleu.wordpress.com/category/french-culture/ for cliché frenchman photo

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The one about smelling really bothers me. Actually, I do think there is some truth to it, but let me explain.

    The thing is, a lot of North Americans are obsessed with smell. What I think doesn't smell at all is enough to put some of them into cardiac arrest. There are a lot worse smells in this world than a little bit of sweat.

    Another point: there is very little air conditioning here in Europe. North Americans go to the gym, shower and then get into their air-conditioned cars to drive home to their air-conditioned homes. They would "smell" too if they were walking around everywhere and trying to take public transport at rush hour when it's 30 degrees outside and there is no air conditioning. Summer or not, people here are less sensitive to what North Americans would consider "really smelly". "Smelling" is natural, heavy purfume and deodorant is not. People just accept it here and get on with things.

    Besides, have you ever looked at the ingredients in French deodorant vs. North American deodorant? I used to always bring deodorant from Canada over here because I thought it worked better, but that's because there's aluminum and other crap in there that makes it effective.

    There are a few women here that don't shave. They really are rare, though. I think that some North Americans have come over here and seen one of these rare women and suddenly all French women have been branded as "hairy". And what's wrong with not shaving anyway?

    OK, rant over. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the rant! I agree entirely. Actually it's been an ongoing joke between my boyfriend and I that I've smelled ever since I bought a new deodorant! My very first french deodorant that is haha. We as a nation are fairly uneducated on the various chemicals that our country places in things, right down to our milk. It's sad actually. So what we perceive as better is indeed harming us. Ah and to your next point...air conditioning. This kills me here, because I'm a prime example of what you said. I do understand, however it's difficult to adapt to. I didn't want to get into odor too much because it's true it all comes down to how sensitive we are to smells!

      Delete