,

Daily Differences Between the French and the Americans

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

I forgot what it's like to be alone. No, really, Mat and I practically eat, sleep, and breathe each other (please don't take that the wrong way). He was gone for the night yesterday, and as I did all the things I'd normally do alone, I realized how different him and I live, how different the French and Americans live.

When we were in a long distance relationship, or Skype relationship as I'd like to call it, we didn't have to work around our differences. They are merely cultural differences between our nationalities. We deal relatively well, but you'd be surprised how little things can actually have a huge impact on daily life.

The difference between French and Americans:

1. Sense of time
Yea I'll use the word sense because it's not real time. Mat goes by French time, I go by overly-anal- American-who-has-to-be-there-3-minutes-prior time. It drives me nuts. I'll give it to the French they are far more relaxed about being late, because 10 minutes late to them is actually on time. For someone with OCD like me I cannot handle this, so 9 times out of 10 when we have to be somewhere like oh say, THE AIRPORT, I'm freaking out and it turns into a little less than a domestic.
Château Margaux Oct. 2013
2. Being an Outfit-Repeater
Most Americans, like myself, are completely delusional as to what is clean and what is not. Mat, along with many Europeans, have no problem repeating outfits a few times before washing them, because rightfully...they're not dirty. But for whatever reason, it kind of makes me cringe to put the same outfit on twice. Often times I'll play Fashion Police and try to scold him, but really he's right on this one. Mat-1 Danielle-0.
Tampa, Florida Sept. 2012
3. The Use of Air Conditioning
Central air is just barely available here, due to the high cost. I come from a family of air conditioning abusers, and I'll be honest I'm completely spoiled on this one. However, I cannot sleep in the summer if I'm hot (first world problems I know). When he visited me in Florida he actually got sick from it because his body was not use to the constant change of temperature. It's the only reason I'm okay with going back home to N.J. this summer.
4. Eating
Of course. I'm not talking about food though, because quite frankly I enjoy having a baguette with my meals and a glass of wine. However, it's WHEN we eat that kills me sometimes. Last night when I was alone I ate at 6 p.m. as I would do at home, but here it's anywhere from 7:30-9p.m. and I end up snacking like a monster beforehand. I have no choice to comply because most times it's Mat who is cooking.
Nerds for Halloween 2013
5. Music Preferences
If we keep the radio on we're just fine, it's when we pick our own stuff that it's sometimes more complicated. We're both a little dorky. If he could jam-out to 1980's pop all day he would and I also have my middle school days where I'm blasting emo/alternative rock music, and he's thoroughly confused. No matter what Americans and the French did not grow up listening to the same music.
Notice the look of death he's giving me
6. Technology Abuse
Hi, my name is Danielle and I have a problem. My entire day could revolve around the computer and I'd be just fine (sad but true). Mat doesn't quite have this problem, and we end up fighting that I don't get off my phone. So it's become one of the reasons I leave it at home a lot now..it gives me the shakes a little. I think Americans have this problem worse than the French.
Picnicking at Bordeaux Lac
7. Nap Time
I'm too antsy for naps, he loves to nap. We all know a little siesta never hurt anybody, it does the body good actually. Unfortunately, my body is just not wired around them unless I'm absolutely exhausted. France has a 2p.m. - 4p.m. siesta time where almost nothing is open, it makes sense..but it's when I like to eat lunch.
Example: Using wine bottle as a rolling pin
9. Being resourceful
I get yelled at sometimes because I tend to waste things. It's completely by habit, but Mat would rather wash a plastic cup than throw it out. Same with paper towels..I clean with them, whereas his family consistently cleans with the sponge. You'll notice here that even grocery stores don't just hand out plastic bags like candy, you have to pay for it or bring your own. They're far more resourceful.
Rome, Italy Nov. 2013
My friend Kerri and I were discussing some of this today. I think most Americans who are living abroad could relate to at least half of these. I know when I return home though, I'm going to take some of it with me.. maybe rethink how much I need to use the air conditioning, stop being so neurotic about being 2 minutes late, relaxing a bit, using things more than once (including clothes). Oh and the wine with my meals, can't forget that :)


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Your post is right-on!! As an American who has been married to a French man for almost 20 years - I can related to most of those differences! Especailly the nap one!! I use to joke that when we would visit his parents in the Dordogne we would eat or sleep...literally-meals lasted 2-3 hours then a nap - then start again...then go to bed!! We still laugh about a story when we were just dating and were visiting his grandparents and had an extended family meal to attend. He said bring your suit - we will swim in the river after lunch. Lunch began at 1 pm...and we didn't finish until close to 6 pm..then we swam in the river! My joke was it was an evening swim by American standards!! The differences have not changed over the years...but we have definitely gotten more tolerate each other and embrace what works at various times. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait that is too funny we have this misunderstanding CONSTANTLY the whole evening/afternoon thing. Mat will tell me we're going somewhere in the afternoon and I'll be sitting around waiting until 4pm wondering why I'm still at the house. But the Dordogne parent situation just made me laugh because that is exactly how it is with his parents in Lot-et-Garonne. My mom always makes a joke when I skype her like "so what did you do today? Oh wait I know, ate and slept." I'm not sure I'll ever get use to that. Swimming in the river at 6pm though that's late! I'm not sure if your husband is the same way but I noticed they also don't go to the beach until around 3 or 4pm !! My family is posted up at 11am so this is just bizarre to me. At least you are the prime example of how it can all work out, I mean 20 years kudos to you :)!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes, my husband never wants to go to the beach before 4pm either. He says the sun is bad before that time and there's too many people. He's right, of course, but by the time 5pm swings around it starts to get cold at the beach. I like to feel the sun on my skin - it's like a massage for me.

    I used to think my parents in Canada ate late at 7pm. Now most nights I don't start preparing dinner before 7.30 and it's normal for me to eat at 9. Just give it a few years or and you might even start washing your sponges in the washing machine like me, haha. Either that or go and spend a few months in Spain and that'll beat it out of you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow sponges in the washing machine that's on a whole new level haha! I can't say I'd be happy with 5pm at the beach either, him and I are definitely going to need to compromise on that one, I'd say 1:30pm the latest. And I'm sure Spain is capable of beating just about anything out of you!

      Delete