, , ,

How to See Barcelona, Spain in One Day

Thursday, February 06, 2014

I had exactly one, I repeat one day/night to enjoy Barcelona in its entirety. The only way to see it all in one day is on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. So my friends and I did just that.

If you're in the area for a few days it's such a great experience, and a good way to get around. Since we were super crunched for time we didn't exactly hop-off the bus, nor did we finish the entire tour. Make sure you finish it though, because my biggest regret was not seeing the Sagrada Familia Church.
Everything you need to see is set up on the tour. You get a really great feel for the city. It's so artsy and colorful, and I'm a sucker for the two. The architecture in Barcelona is really none like I've seen anywhere else. Most of the buildings have their own unique design, unlike Bordeaux where most are similar.
I wanted so SO badly to hop off the tour and just lay by the mediterranean. It seems like one of those European city's where everyone is just naked and happy on the beach, no shoes, no clothes, no problem.
Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya
Although no Sagrada Familia Church, the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya is breathtaking. It has a similar structure to the Vatican so instantly I was in awe. You'll be able to get surprisingly good shots from a bus.
Port de Barcelona
There are so many restaurants along the Port de Barcelona, you can't get a better view of the sea, but you'll definitely pay a fat bill for it. Tapas people TAPAS!! Best thing I did with my one and only day in Barcelona.. sangria, seafood, and lots of tapas. Worth the money in my opinion.
Port de Barcelona
Also along the port are many clubs. My friends and I went to club Razzmatazz in a very very sketchy part of town away from the port. I felt unsafe at night here. This was one huge problem I had with Barcelona, there's just so many pickpocketers. Immediately as the sun went down my girlfriends and I didn't want to be in the streets.
Barcelona, Spain
Casa Batllo
The best part about this city is art. Just everywhere you look there's a museum even when the museum takes the shape of an overly gaudy home like Casa Batllo. Just know that they're way over priced, so  choose wisely and maybe just stick to an outside photo for the rest.
It wouldn't be Spain without being surrounded by music and partying either. Art, food, music, yep that's pretty much Spain in a nutshell. There's so many venues here as well as festivals. Many of my friends attended Festes de la Mercè, and some of the numerous neighborhood fiestas that go on. It's a HUGE party city.

Last but not least, sports. If I had more than one day here I would have been to at least 3 soccer games..mainly to see the players :)
Sagrada Familia Church [Photo Credit]:http://cdnstatic-1.mydestination.com
So all in all I think the city is great. But at the end of the day, I'll always regret not finishing that bus tour and seeing Sagrada Familia Church. We were pressed for time but I think we were thinking with our stomachs more than anything. Note to self: don't choose tapas over unbelievable monuments. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Don't worry about not having seen all the monuments. It sounds like you had fun with your friend eating tapas. Discovering the local cuisine is just as important as seeing the sights. You can always go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Next time around I will definitely know what needs to be done and what needs to be seen. Have you ever been?

      Delete
    2. I visited Barcelona once back in the year 2000. I think I visited the Sagrada, at least I'm sure I saw the outside of it because I have pictures, but I don't really remember my visit to Barcelona that well.

      Actually, I've been to Madrid several times. I've got to say, despite all the bad press Madrid gets sometimes, I prefer it to Barcelona.

      Delete