,

Pasta Carbonara Recipe by My Favorite Frenchman

Friday, February 28, 2014

Forget fois gras, escargot, and pâté, I just can't. I've put in all I've got to like the cuisine here but the only thing my body will accept are french fries (which are actually said to have originated in Belgium, but don't say that to the French). It was far easier for me to live in Rome, because I, Danielle Konefal, am pasta's #1 fan.

Lucky for me, but not my waistline, I'm with a French boy who is a pasta guru. We especially LOVE carbonara. I'm actually embarrassed how many photos I've found of it on my computer... 
Warning: This recipe is addictive, fatty, and better than 99% of pastas I tasted in Italy.
This serves 4 people, but in my case it's what I use for Mat and I being that he's 6'3 and eats more than anyone I've ever seen...boys.

Ingredients:
English-                                              French-
1/2 lb bacon bits uncooked                 1 paquet de lardons de 300 g
1/2 large onion                                    1/2 gros oignon
6.8 ounces crème fraîche                    20 cl de crème fraîche
500 grams package spaghetti              1 paquet de spaghetti de 500 g
.3 lbs shredded emmental cheese        140 grammes d'emmental râpé
salt & pepper to taste                           sel et poivre selon votre envie
a little basil                                          un peu de basilic
1 egg yolk                                           1 jaune d'oeuf
tablespoon of butter                            un peu de beurre

*Crème fraîche and emmental râpé (a type of Swiss cheese) can be found at Wegman's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's both in the cheese section

Ok let's get cookin' good lookin'..

Directions:


  1. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and fill a large pot of water on high to boil
  2. Chop onions however you prefer (fine or thick) and add them to the frying pan on medium-high heat along with the uncooked bacon. Keep close watch on both because it is very easy for the two to become burnt, so if you need to add more olive oil you can.
  3. When the water is at a boil break the spaghetti in halves and add to it. Follow the package for the exact time to cook it (usually 8-10 minutes). Keep moving around the bacon and onions. If they look cooked enough turn the heat down to low.
  4. Around 5 minutes into the pasta cooking, add the crème fraîche to the onions and bacon. Make sure that the heat is now on around 2, or very low but not the absolute lowest. It's important because the crème comes to a boil very fast which is not what you want, so just let it get warm for remainder of time it takes to cook the pasta.
  5. This is the part you really need to be quick with. Turn the heat up high on the pan with the crème to let it become thicker, no more than 1 minute. Once the crème starts boiling turn it off. Drain out the pasta during this time and place in a big bowl. Add the tablespoon of butter to it so it doesn't become sticky.
  6. Add the crème/onion/bacon to the pasta and start stirring that bad boy. As you stir it sparingly add the emmental cheese to the dish. Afterward is when you practically coat it in salt...well if you are Mat and I. You don't need too much pepper, it's not that kind of pasta. Top it off with a few pinches of basil. Finally---add the egg yoke in and it will cook with the hot pasta :)
  7. Unbutton your pants, and get ready to have a food baby. Red wine is just fab with it, so crack open a bottle as well, you deserve it eh?


CHEERS!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I also make this dish quite often as well. I use all the same ingredients that you do except for the basil and the type of cheese

    Here are my tips to try and reduce the fat content: you can buy lardons without fat in any fairly-sized supermarket. It looks like chunks of ham cut up. I don't notice any difference in the taste.

    Also, you can replace some of the crème with some milk. Sometimes I don't even use the crème.

    About the cheese: I used to use grated emmental as well, however, I'm telling you, parmesan is even better. Please try it with parmesan and tell me what you think!

    I also put garlic in there as well, but then again, I put garlic on almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely keep the less-fatty recipe in mind for when mathieu's not around! He's a very tall, hungry boy so he cares less about that. I don't quite have the same body so it's much appreciated!!

      Delete