, , , ,

3,000 Bottles of Wine On The Wall at Château de Monbazillac

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Do you remember the Bagel Bites theme song? Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time. I feel this way about wine. I love it just as much as I love castles, so it helps that France is the #1 place for both. Many wine makers own a gorgeous, historic chateaux such as Château de Monbazillac.

Not all chateaux owners, however, really embrace the property's history. However, Château de Monbazillac, owned by Monbazillac Cellars, keeps the castle in a historic light as well as commercial. It's in the Dordogne region of France of course. This is a huge place for the Brits, they come here like 'hello I'd like to purchase a lovely castle because I live in the pound, so I can.' Kind of kidding..
It's 17th century Renaissance architecture (my favorite) equipped with a moat and no water. But that's okay because there is a huge vineyard to make up for it. They make sweet white wine here (also my favorite). You get a complimentary glass when you visit :)
Mat and I got a little unlucky when we visited here because there was a HUGE wedding going on. I could still see inside, but there were way too many people to take photos.
Being that I'm brainwashed by Disney, I know that I myself, the princess wannabe, would love a good wedding photo here. They have everything you need: a restaurant, a luxurious banquet hall, and endless wine. That would be one happy wedding party.
The history is seen within the rooms of the chateaux, where the Lords of Monbazillac once lived. I reckon they had sweet white wine for blood. They also have 17th century furniture that's well taken care of as well as various pieces from the Religious Wars.
As usual someone beat Mat and I to a great idea, picnicking. These kids had the perfect view, a bottle of wine, and some baguettes. 
Here was their view as they sipped their wine and I enviously watched.
If you want you have the opportunity to have a tasting here, as well as a tour of their cellars, you just have to make an appointment. In this chateau alone there are THREE THOUSAND, I repeat THREE THOUSAND bottles. I can't fathom such bliss. Call me a lush, call me what you will but that my friends is heaven. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. The trouble with Montbazillac wine is that they are really touch-and-go. You can't just pick one up at the supermarket and expect it to be good. You could say that of any wine, but my experience has taught me that Montbazillac wines are some of the worst offenders. You need to go on word-of-mouth or visit the wine properties and taste their wines (like you've done here). When you have found a good one, though, it is ever good!

    This looks like the perfect place to picnic. I've never actually been out to Montbazillic (after years living here!) and am dying to go and explore the region (and find some good wines). This castle looks picture-perfect and the views of the vineyars are devine.

    Just one thing about this post: I think that 'mote' should be spelled 'moat'. I just thought I'd point it out since you really like to talk about castles. I hope you don't mind me saying this!

    Anyway, keep up with the blogging and I'm really enjoying seeing all of these 'local' posts. Are you still studying French at the Alliance or are you at DEFLE now? I hope you really like Bordeaux depite all the rain we've been getting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize I have tried to respond to this several times but it wouldn't work, so I gave it a few days! I completely get what you are saying. There's a reason I don't buy wine at the supermarket. My boyfriend and his dad both sell wine so I've been educated on it quite a bit. It kills me that at places like Auchan they sell bottles for 140 euros that they keep in poor temperatures and harsh lighting. The cheaper ones obviously go faster so it's not QUITE as bad, but still not worth it. Anywho, I really recommend you go here it's very nice, and absolutely do the tasting (of course). Thanks for following up with my blog I appreciate the feedback! And I changed the moat thing, I noticed I spelled supper wrong too lol, I was in quite a bit of a rush.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I would love to marry in a place like this .. or live there. xoxo from a fellow princess wannabe

    ReplyDelete