, , ,

Toulouse, France: It's Like Penn State for French Students

Monday, December 30, 2013

It's been a year since I helped Mat move out of Toulouse, and I haven't seen it since. When I met him he was an economic student living like a french frat boy. After 4 years and some deep soul searching he decided to join the wine world and move to Bordeaux. Today we went back for far more important reasons than a higher education: a NYE dress.

américaine girl
If I could describe this town in one word it would be lively. Its appearance reminds me of Italy more than anything. Every building has its own style, and the colors are so vibrant, it's really a photographers dream. Toulouse is known as the "pink," city. I'm not exactly sure if the Toulousains are colorblind, but the buildings are most definitely orange. It's a mix of artsy and grungy; not the cleanest city in the world, but it has its own style. 
américaine girl
One of the reasons I love this city so much is that it's young. I really recommend it to college kids who want to party. If you are ready for an intellectual experience, yes it's there, yes it's available, but it's not worth the money, unless of course you're going there to attend school. The people here are down to earth, it's a completely different world compared to Bordeaux. There's very little sense of wealth, and the general population is not stuck up. It's one of the top college cities in France, and there's just about every type of person to party with--hipsters, punks, goths, jocks, you name it. Not to mention they all hang out at specific bars.

Mat and his guy friends were quite the party boys. He rants and raves about this bar, Chez Tonton like it's God's gift to Earth. So if you visit, he HIGHLY recommends it..especially on Thursday nights. I'll give it to him, he's got a talent for picking bars.
américaine girl
And on my end what else would I recommend but a patisserie? No really, this is by far out of every single patisserie I have visited (Italy included), my favorite. It IS God's gift to Earth. I was way more excited that Maison Pillon was open at 7pm than the fact that I had just found a dress after 4 hours of searching. This is a picture from last year but since my strawberry macaroon was sold out by night time, I just wanted you all to see what a little piece of heaven looks like. Amen.
américaine girl
So, I'll be the first to say that I'm not exactly into French cuisine, but Spanish? Me gusta. There's a restaurant we went to called Le Borriquito Café, and we went hard. Tapas on tapas on tapas. Not to mention they make a killer (no really after 4, you might die) margarita. Tall, strong, and sweet..just like I like 'em :P
américaine girl
So there ya go cafés, food, and fun, that's Toulouse in a nutshell. After living in another city like Bordeaux, I am torn between which two I like better. They're only 2 hours apart but they are worlds apart to me. 

Side note: If you are ever looking for a dress in the Southwest of France that is anything but black and plain..good luck.

You Might Also Like

0 comments