,

The Art of French Patisseries

Sunday, December 29, 2013

I'll be the first to admit that I need a 12-step program for French patisseries. Unless I want to look like a walking, talking eclair I have no choice but to hit the gym on the daily. I don't know what attracts me to them more, the fact that I'm a sweet tooth, or their ability to turn desserts into art.

américaine girl
The Chuck Norris of Chocolate (accompanied by wine)
I know most Americans have one pastry in mind when they think of France: macaroons. NO! Stop right there. There are so many more unbelievable, beautiful pastries than that. You will rarely ever see a French person buying them, and most I have talked to don't even like them because they're too sweet. So the macaroon bus stops here.
américaine girl
Pink Strawberry Stromboli of Love
Now I like a thick, buttercream icing just as much as the next American, but it's just not how France works. As you can see, French patisseries use more fresh fruits and natural flavorings rather than sugary icing and artificial coloring. You actually taste the flavors (but don't be like me and taste them every single day).

américaine girl
A Chocoholics Drug
In many French households like Mathieu's, a nice dessert is a weekly tradition. Every Sunday I'm like a kid on Christmas morning just waiting to see what his dad picked out for me. It is almost like no matter what you pick, it will be picture-perfect and foodgasmic.
américaine girl
The Trifecta of Glucose
Now, if you want the best pastries in France you need to go to a patisserie and not a boulangerie. Boulangeries are more known for their breads rather than their desserts. My favorites are never the high-end, city center kind of places. The best over here are by far the ones in small villages where you see locals flocking to. In Mathieu's village of Cancon, Boulangerie-Patisserie Audubert is our spot. Each photo here is from there and my waistline thanks them. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments