, , ,

Château Pontet Canet Takes The Organic Route

Monday, February 10, 2014

So the same day I was at Château Cos d'Estournel, I also got to check out Château Pontet Canet (I swear I'm not a lush). They were about as opposite as Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga. This beautiful, classic château does everything by the books, and then some. It is entirely old school.

Château Pontet Canet makes an organic wine. They're in the Medoc region of France and have been around since 1750. It's got a pretty great rep.
So I think the château didn't book correctly because we ended up getting the visitor tour with another visitor. Now Mat's the merchant, not me, so I don't care but he explained that visitors get the poorer vintages (keep note of this if you visit).
Regardless, the wine is good. Not just because it's part of the grand cru classé but because they really take time to make it properly.
There's even horses who walk the soil, instead of the giant machines that ruin it. It's seriously organic. And this horse was not one to mess with; His name is surprise. You can see it really suits him by the look on his face huh?
The tour guide explained (in French) how this is a unique barrel to age the wine. Mathieu and I are still not sure of it's effectiveness, or why it benefits the wine, but I'll take her word for it.
The barrels here are so beautiful and classic. The set up is exactly how you picture a winery in the French countryside.
Much of their decoration here is based around the barrels. Notice the sun! 
The cellar is also stocked to the t. Very traditional, cold, and dark like any cellar. Nothing overly exciting about it.
As for the tasting..the most important part ay? The bottle had definitely been opened earlier in the day. The smell was great, the taste was great, the aftertaste....like a sour patch kid. I've never quite experienced that but it wasn't the best thing in the world.
At the end of the tour the first page I opened to was someone from my hometown. Shoutout to Jodi and Gary Nack! I don't know you but I just might Facebook you this pic.




You Might Also Like

0 comments